We welcome the government’s National Anti-Racism Strategy, and are a key supporter of both the strategy and the accompanying campaign Racism. It Stops With Me.
In summary, All Together Now believes the National Anti-Racism Strategy should:
- Encourage mainstream acknowledgement that racism exists in Australia by individuals, businesses, government bodies, and education institutions demonstrated through resourcing and implementing meaningful antiracism activities that are evidence-based, long-term and evaluated.
- Facilitate regular discussion between partners who are implementing meaningful antiracism activities to encourage information-sharing about what works, and more broadly to encourage evaluation of anti-racism activities and credibility to those conducting effective programs.
- Focus on both local and national antiracism activities. Localised initiatives make the issue real for people. Large-scale initiatives build much-needed momentum. Both are important because they complement each other.
- Provide evidence-based racism prevention information about why it is important to speak up against racism, with tips on how to do this successfully in face-to-face and online situations. The provision of such information should take account of social marketing principles.
- Prioritise racism prevention in areas that have the most influence in shaping public opinion, for example online, in the media, and in sport.
A copy of our submission is available to download from the campaign website.