By Giving Racism The Finger, you are saying you will speak up whenever you witness racism.
The next time you hear someone make a racist comment, don’t be silent. Say something. Let them know that it’s not acceptable. By speaking up, you’ll feel better knowing that you’ve taken a stand.
Whoever made the remark may then think twice about expressing racist attitudes in the future.
And the person on the receiving end will feel supported and hopefully less disturbed by the abuse.
You can also take part by doing the following:
1. ‘Like’ the campaign on Facebook, join the conversation, add a PicBadge to your profile picture, and post an update saying you’re “giving racism the finger”. This tells your friends you won’t tolerate racist remarks.
Other online actions:
- Friend us on Twitter and tell your Twitter friends you’re ‘giving racism the finger’
- Donate a Tweet
- Sign up to our email newsletter
2. Print off an A4 poster or A3 poster and put it up in your workplace. This is a great way to get your colleagues thinking about ways your company or organisation can do something positive to prevent racism.
If your company has a staff newsletter or intranet, add a section about the campaign.
3. Buy a Give Racism The Finger t-shirt or sticker on Redbubble to show the world you don’t tolerate racism. The shirts are available with long or short sleeves in black, red, yellow and green. All profits will be donated to developing the second phase of this campaign. If you prefer, you can make a donation instead.
About the campaign
Over four weeks in May & June 2011, The Body Shop customers were asked to Give Racism The Finger. During that time we collected 50,706 fingerprints in 83 stores across Australia. The Body Shop initiated conversations with 300,000 customers during the campaign.
We ran a survey with store staff after the campaign. Each store self-rated their passion and knowledge about racism before the campaign at 6.4/10 and after the campaign at 7.9/10. We believe this increased confidence is reflected in the number of fingerprints collected, with 1/3 of customers Giving Racism The Finger.